On 25 May 1914 Council let a ten year contract to the Sydney City Council to supply electricity. The first connection was to 513 Victoria Avenue on 19 April 1916. At first all power lines were overhead but gradually high tension mains have been buried, as have
also all wires in the central business district. In 1936 the Sydney County Council was created by Act of Parliament to take over the electricity supply from the Sydney City Council.