Dr HG Alleyne was born in Barbados in the West Indies and gained his medical degree from Edinburgh University in 1846. He returned to Sydney, having spent the period from 1839 to 1844 in the colony, and was registered as a medical practitioner in July 1848. In July 1852 he was appointed as health officer for Port Jackson, the position he is best known for, but he held a number of distinguished positions in the medical profession. He is widely recognised as an authority on natural history, especially the study of fish in Port Jackson.
Dr Alleyne’s link to Willoughby relates to his purchase of five portions of land totalling 103 acres on Little Sugar Loaf Peninsula in 1858. Alleyne Street in East Chatswood is named after him.