The Eric Wilksch Tool Room displays objects relating to local tanneries as well as a selection of items from our extensive collection of traditional hand tools. The museum has an extensive collection of traditional hand trade-tools and many of these items are displayed in this room. Of particular interest are the tools used by Hugh Cogan, a coachbuilder, who operated in extensive premises located at 279
Penshurst Street, Willoughby.
Also featured here is Willoughby’s tanning industry, which was carried out at 16 locations between 1869 and 1979. The tannery display explores the tanning process and includes tools used in tanneries and their products.
Various wood, metal and leather materials were used to build the typical Australian coach of the 1800s (not on display).